Monday, August 20, 2012

Find-A-Grave Clean Up

Not sure how I feel about this, but ...

I have been cleaning up my database management system and filing some of my documentation. I was focusing on my Find-A-Grave sources. Did I find a shocker today. It appears that about 35 of Find-A-Grave memorials have been removed from the website. The good news is, that I had printed these memorials on paper so that I could mark them up.

As I was researching a small branch, I had come across a number of Memorials, on Find-A-Grave, where the burial (Cemetery) location was listed as "unknown". All from the SAME contributor. I thought it strange but those memorials confirmed some of the information that I already had and filled out a couple of families.

A couple of weeks ago, I was doing to research on this "unknown" cemeteries when I saw a picture of one of the memorials. Picture without a Cemetery? Strange ..... so I contacted the photographer, who had the same issue I did. Unable to contact the "owner" of the memorial. So I was back looking into these unknown cemeteries AND was working on my Citations for these burial facts. I changed how I was formatting the Citations, to bring them into the Evidence Explained!! format.

This is when I found all of these missing "Memorial Not Found" error messages. Since there wasn't a Cemetery listed, I did some searching for the Memorial Number, which I had from the print out. Memorial Not Found.

Since I knew a couple of cemeteries where they might have been, know the County they were in, I did some searching on Find-A-Grave. Still didn't find.

Sure, I have paper copies, and I was trying to get rid of the paper, so I am not sure how I feel about not having the back up, from Find-A-Grave, link to the memorial. All this means to me is back to researching these missing memorials.

________________________________________________________________
Copyright © 2012 by H R Worthington

17 comments:

  1. You know I had not thought to print out the memorials that I did not put up. Good idea!

    Odd that the cemetery is not showing up. I know I had a few problems ADDING memorials over the last few days. Maybe it's a bug on their end??

    But now I know I have some work to do on my FAG sources!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,

    I don't like to print stuff out, that type of tree I like to save, but I am glad that I did.

    Going to change to generate PDF files.

    The Cemetery was listed as "Unknown" by this one Contributor. I had tried to contact (him/her) but didn't get any response. Then a photo went up on the one that got me started, and she was not able to contact this person.

    I thought Unknown in the Burial field was strange, but the data was good, when I compared it to mine. AND there was some stories. This person has spent TIME doing the work.

    What I have noticed, is that some other contributors have picked up to Maintain some of the Memorials. I am guessing that the Memorials are online, but hidden.

    Good luck,

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Russ - A few items that I've found out about Find A Grave (I'm doing a HUGE project, and have been spending hours daily on the site)
    It is my understanding that Unknown graves are only kept online for 30 days, after that, F.A.G. may remove them. They are only allowed temporarily, to allow for adding a listing before the burial (generally from an obituary).(see the FAQ)
    Also, if the person who contributed items is no longer responding to their edit requests, then F.A.G. may take over the listing, and/or change them.
    If you look at the Find_a_Grave Forum (discussion area) there is a listing of upcoming items that they are working on, one of which is a splitting of geographic locations in Canada.
    (Loved the presentation with Dear Myrtle)-
    I've got a great cousin who has linked an entire line of our family through ancestors and descendants, all on Find a Grave. (search for Backes in St. Cloud Minnesota).
    Take care!
    Pam Willenbring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam,

      Thank you for that information. I should have gone to the FAQ pages when I saw the"unknown" go "missing".

      Glad you liked the presentation with my Cuz, DearMYRTLE. We have a good time and hope the material was helpful.

      It's great when others help connect "the dots" in our research.

      Thank you,

      Russ

      Delete
  4. I see according to Geneabloggers, today is your 4th year anniversary since you've been blogging. Happy Blogiversary.

    Regards, Jim
    Hidden Genealogy Nuggets

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Blogiversary! Love the work you are doing. Keep it up! I always back my finds on FindaGrave up with paper. I have had too many experiences of online finds either disappearing, or the website closing down.
    Love the ability to find from home, but know it is not like a book.
    FranElllsworth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran,

      Thank you.

      I am reminded that I haven't posted for a while. Need to get back "out there" and visit a couple of cemeteries. Will let the snow melt a bit.

      Thanks again,

      Russ

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Bill,

      Thank you. Need to update and post some more photos here.

      Thanks,

      Russ

      Delete
  7. Happy Blogiversary. I'm new here and checking out the websites. I found that article very interesting. I have posted about 3,000 memorials on FAG in the last few months. I never considered keeping backups. I think I even deleted all the pictures from my hard drive. I guess I will do things a little differently now. I did post all the pictures on Billion Graves too.

    Betty

    http://hooverhistory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting article about findagrave.com. I love that site. You've got me thinking about doing a better job of backing things up. This is something extra, I sometimes don't want to take the time to do. Happy Blogiversary!!

    Regards, Grant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grant,

      Backing up is always a good thing.

      Thank you,

      Russ

      Delete
  9. Happy Blogiversary! I didn't realize that FindAGrave might remove memorials with unknown graves, so good to know. I usually keep my own digital copy of anything I'm interested in and backup to an external drive and a cloud based service. I've been trying to get rid of all the paper too!

    Kathryn
    http://kathrynsquest.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathryn,

      I didn't either, until it happened to me. I am glad that I can now keep those images, that I didn't take, in my genealogy database, and NOT have them show up, online anywhere.

      Thank you,

      Russ

      Delete